Monday, January 14, 2008

A.D

"Pluralites non est pondera sine necessitate"
=
"Entities must not be multiplied without necessity."

Imagine yourself seated in a relatively large room, around the back and especially right opposite the instructor, with about a handful of kids scattered here and there. Now imagine the words coming out of the prof. going thru one ear and out the other, having no impact on you except when you hear something like assignment/quiz, where you buzz yourself out of where ever you drifted. Wait I'm not done yet! NOW imagine your eyes closing and you slumping in the chair...fading memory/attention! *Buzz word* you manage to open your eyes and stay awake to avoid any more embarrassments, the instructor staring right at you (or pretending he never saw you).

That was when I hid myself in the text book and found the above piece (a maxim known as Ockham's razor) a beautiful piece on Ockham, a scholastic philosopher who lived about 1300 to 1349. In the simplest sense, it means that when constructing an argument, you should never go beyond the simplest argument unless it is necessary.

Next time around, I'll try raisins to stay awake. Apparently gums don't work for me (i sleep w/ the gums in my mouth) better yet, I'll do my assignments instead and be more productive.
Seriously though I pay attention for about 10 minutes and zone-out for the remaining 15 and the cycle goes on and on...

Yet still fascinated by genetics...(more on that coming)
A.D= Attention Deficit

1 comment:

Umm ML said...

looool we are SO alike Hiku... haha ya I struggle to stay awake thru my class too :p Hang in there (like that cliche kitty poster)