Sunday, June 15, 2008

"A fine line"

Ahh the moon,

Such a beautiful night out! Looking up at the sky took me back to the days when I used to camp at the veranda lying back, staring at the sky endlessly. It seemed, to family, rather pointless to do the same thing over and over again_watch the stars. Of course you've got to have imagination, stories, hopes and dreams in your mind or you'd fall asleep. I wish I can do that once more Insha'Allah_lay back and keep watching the beauty of the dark sky, the secrets and aspirations unfold.

I miss gardening, especially taking care of the mint plant and waiting patiently for the pomegranate to ripe. The tricky bit about vital mint is that you don't over or under water it. If over watered it gives you nice large leafs, but the mintyness wouldn't be the same. But those that have been watered right would summon one with their unmistakable fragrance and nice flavor when made into, my most favorite, tea. As for the pomegranate, I must admit that my picking was most disastrous -at first- that I was told not to pick anymore. But of course time polishes one into a better gardener, so eventually I learned how not to pick unripe fruits. My mom had taught me to look first into the top part where it seems to be 'wearing a crown' and feel the little 'seeds', she also taught me the rather hard to explain, "you'd just know when you touch it" cues.

My sister used to love taking care of 'her' roses which she would allow me to weed but hardly enjoy the flowers. That was mainly because of my impatience with some of the irresistible buds. I would have cut it when the buds just start to open, but since it was my sister's she wouldn't allow me, for a reason that has ever since left me with an awe for her. I remember her telling me "if you cut it now, what will we enjoy later on? you must leave it so that it can in its own time open-up and allow us enjoy its beauty and fragrance. Life, also, the same way..."

Learning small things here and there... until recently, to be precise, Friday when I talked to my "partner in crime" aka, my sister, I haven't thought of this issue in such a way. Having broken her tibia and fibula from a "minor" car accident, she is now lying with a huge cast. When I asked her how she is feeling, reassuringly she answered that she hasn't been better in a long time, now that she is being served for everything she's in need. And she added that she even have visitors far and wide...she likes joking around about almost everything so when I didn't take her seriously she turned into her usual 'now imma dead serious' sound and said "it is a thin line, this thing we call being alive...you blink and next thing you know you might even be dead on the ground".

Nothing more to add to that, just simple; any moment you might be gone...

1 comment:

Umm ML said...

Insha'Allah may Allah make it tazkiyah for her and let her recver quickly :) But yes, its so true.... life can go at any moment.... Miss u much habibti