Monday, December 8, 2008

whats it for you?



Masha'allah a very nice Eid!



Eid. It means so much more when people you know are around. You look at their faces, their smiles, the hugs and the kisses in the morning... the most common people to you...like your mother or stuttering sibling. And then everything that used to be just common becomes magical...the same food, but just special...and then I like the smell of Eid...the smell of freshness and that perfume on your dad. And then the hurries to make it on time for prayer...walking for another 7-10 minutes to pray at the stadium...people in new clothes...kids all looking irresistibly cute... and then the Takbir...going back home for a breakfast and then visits to relatives and friends. Being forced to eat cookies...take candies. Everything would look special. when one sees a school friend, who was just a school friend the day before, at Eid it is a giggle and some whispers... everything is special. Even the dads get to plan a "special afternoon for our difficult kids" of course they are mostly interested in their time sitting together and reminiscing about things. Ohh the feeling of it all...at Eid, the streets even look different, spacious and welcoming.
The smile on your mom's face...I even dare asked her when I was a child how come she never wore that smile before...she smiled again and replied you silly thing, it is the same smile. But for me, even now when I think back...everything was special.

What do I miss most of Eid back home...? I've got to say it is those people who I see day-in, day-out. Because at Eid I always get reminded that they are the most special people to me.

So this is what I thought about to-day and remembered. Times are different, but Eid never seems to be missing a thing, just more special.

4 comments:

Umm ML said...

Eid Mubarak (for the 10th time!) ya habibti! Sooooo glad I was able to chill wit u on Eid day, even if it was just for a little bit! Love and salaams always (^_^ )

hikmet said...

Eid Mubarak to you too dear (well perhaps this makes it the 11th time then?) lol
I may not have written it in words...but you might just follow along where I was going at the end of the sentence there...
"just more special" b/c i've got people who are that special to me here and in my heart...
:D

. said...

Salamu Alaikum new friend, Eid Mubarak. You are so right, Eid is beyond magical when all of your loved ones are near to join the celebration. MashAllah beautiful post. Thank you for reminding us of the little things that matter most in life, the company of each other.

Wa alaikum wa salam

. said...

Salamu Alaikum new friend, Eid Mubarak. You are so right, Eid is beyond magical when all of your loved ones are near to join the celebration. MashAllah beautiful post. Thank you for reminding us of the little things that matter most in life, the company of each other.

Wa alaikum wa salam